- You will need rulers (or sticks), magnets, string, and a good assortment of objects, some magnetic, some non-magnetic.
- Students will make a "fishing rod" by attaching the string to the ruler and then the magnet to the end of the string.
- Students should first hypothesize as to which objects they think will stick to the magnet and which they think won't. Have the students write their guesses down.
- They will create a chart where they can record the objects, their guesses, and the actual results of their tests.
- Then they will fish for objects that stick to the magnet. They should place all of the objects in one bin and run their tests.
- Have students make conclusions about the properties of magnets based on their results.