- This activity should be done as a closing center during your study of Columbus. Students should have had ample time to develop an opinion about Columbus' character and heroic ness.
- They will make an acrostic about Columbus based on their opinion about him.
- Depending on the ability of your students, you can have them simply write descriptive words for each letter in Columbus' name, or you can have them write a continuous essay about him using the letters of his name to begin each line of prose. Or they could make it into a poem. There are many ways to do this activity.
- After completing their acrostics, students should make a final copy and decorate the borders of the paper with illustrations, yarn, confetti, etc.
- Make sure to display these around the classroom.