To Float or Not To Float
- Provide students with various ordinary objects that will either float or sink. For example: various rocks, piece of wood, thin piece of plastic (credit card, ID), various coins, etc.
- Have a worksheet with three columns:
- one for a picture of the object
- one for their hypothesis
- one for the actual outcome.
- Have students work as a group or individually.
- Have center set up near sink or have a large bin for water available.
- Students will predict the outcomes, test their predictions and record the actual outcomes.
- Have an area on the worksheet for them to write their reasonings for the outcomes.