- You will need five rectangular solids of different densities (i.e. block of wood, eraser, plastic box), calculators, rulers, and a balance.
- Students should already be familiar with finding volume and density. This activity is best used as a follow-up to a whole class activity on density.
- Have the students measure the dimensions of the rectangular solids in order to measure the volume.
- They will then need to determine the mass of each solid by weighing it on the balance.
- Using this information, they can then calculate the density by dividing the mass by the volume. Have students use this data sheet to record their findings.
- Have students make conclusions based on their results.