How Long Would It Take?
- Provide the following information in a chart for your students:
- speed of sound: 1088 feet per second
- speed of light: 186,000 miles per second
- jet traveling at Mach 2 (twice speed of sound): 2176 feet per second
- cheetah: 70 miles per hour
- garden snail: 0.03 miles per hour
- fastest car (Thrust SSC): 763 miles per hour
- 747 Jumbo Jet: 520 miles per hour
- distance from Earth to Moon: 238,856 miles
- Pose the following question:
How many hours would it take for each of the above to get from the earth to the moon?
- Your students will need to convert the speeds listed above to miles per hour first. There are 5,280 feet per mile and 3600 seconds in one hour.
- The distance from the earth to the moon is 238,856 miles.
- Have your kids record the information in chart format from longest to shortest time.