Length of Foot vs. Height
- You will need measuring tape, rulers, paper, and a prepared chart with columns labeled Name, Foot Length and Height posted at the center.
- Students will trace their foot on a piece of paper and measure the length.
- Then they will need to work with a partner in order to measure their height.
- Have them find out the ratio of their height to their foot length. How many of their "feet" tall are they?
- Working with their partner, they need to find the average ratio between the two of them. Then ask them this problem: Using this average ratio, determine the height of a giant with a 21-inch foot length.
- Follow-up on this center when everyone has completed the tasks by creating a graph to show the students and their foot length vs. height ratios.