Sort the States of Matter
- Have a large chart divided into three sections, labeled Solid, Liquid, Gas. Have a wide variety of word cards made indicating objects that are in different states of matter. For example, have water, ice, steam, mercury, glue, pencil, play-doh, oxygen.
- Have students work with the others in their center group to sort the words into the appropriate column/category on the chart.
- Students should then write a description for each category based on their analysis of the cards.
- Have a self-check available for students to score themselves. They should recognize any similarities in the words they missed and make sure that they understand the definitions of the states of matter.
- Have them write about any of which they are still unsure so that you can discuss it with the class and clarify the subject as needed.