- Obtain books on Egyptian hieroglyphics that students can look at for this center.
- Have students duplicate several of the ideograms (pictures that represent words) they come across and write the meaning of these next to the pictures.
- Egyptians used ideograms to represent common, important things such as heaven, gods, hunting, water, etc. Have students create their own ideograms. Have them select items or people that are important to them.
- They can combine these in order to create a story about a particular event.
- Have students guess what their classmates' hieroglypics mean. You may want them to have it written out as well.