According to The National Turkey Federation:
In 1999, about 273 million turkeys were raised. We estimate that 45 million of those turkeys were eaten at Thanksgiving, 22 million at Christmas and 19 million at Easter.
- Post this statistic at the math center.
- Ask your kids to find the percentage of turkeys eaten for each holiday.
- Then have them find out the average number of turkeys eaten per day for the rest of the year.
- You can also challenge them to find the average number of turkey eaten per person based on the population being 273 million in 1999. They can estimate the pounds of turkey per person based on an average weight per turkey of 15 pounds.
- Make sure they show all of their work.