How fast Can You Run?
- In order to help your students appreciate the athletic ability of the Olympic athletes, have them compete in an Olympic event.
- The 100m dash is a good event in which students can easily compete. You will need to simply lay out the course, obtain a stopwatch, and have students work in groups of 5 or 6 with one person being the timer.
- Have them record their scores and then compare them with the world or Olympic records. They should have several chances throughout the week to improve their scores. You may even want them to do this for a longer period of time so they will really be able to see their progress.
- Have a chart available where students can record their scores and compare them with the records.
- Follow up on this center with a class discussion about the amazing athletic ability of the Olympians.