- Provide several different styles of rhyming poetry for your class to study.
- Have each student pick a topic they would like to research. You may want to specify animals, plants, figure in history, or something else you have been studying.
- Either provide informational books or let small groups of students go to the library to research their chosen topics.
- They should take notes on facts about their topic that they find to be interesting.
- They then will take these facts and create a 4 stanza rhyming poem. It works well to have four lines per stanza and rhyme every other line. But they can get as original as they want.
- This is a good exercise in language and writing, and it forces the kids to think of synonyms and other ways of saying things.
- Share these with the class and display. You can have them make artwork about their subject to display with the poetry.