At the Art center provide the following materials: 18"x12" construction paper in valentine colors, sixteen(16 per student) 12"long x 1"wide strips of construction paper of valentine colors, glue, scissors, rulers, decorating materials (glitter, etc.)
- Have students choose an 18"x12" piece of construction paper and have them fold it in half, putting the 12" ends together.
- On the creased edge, have students measure 11 - 1" marks with a ruler.
- Cut from the creased edge to the open edge along these marks, leaving a border of 1" on the open edge.
- Open paper up: there should be 11 horizontal lines cut across the paper.
- Using the strips of paper, weave them vertically through the slits. They can weave them in many different ways, but have an example available.
- Have them glue down any edges that are sticking out.
- Have students decorate the placements to their liking.