How Much is 2000, Anyway?
- This is a great activity for younger students that are learning about the concept of quantity.
- In groups have your kids illustrate the number '2000' by counting out objects such as coins, dried beans, paperclips, buttons, beads, etc.
- They should work together to come up with a way of counting to 2000 by arranging the objects in groups, by students separately counting the objects, or counting by two's, three's, etc.
- Have the group put the 2000 objects in glass jars. Make sure each group uses a different object so that they may get a good feel for the concept of '2000.'
- You may also want to challenge your students to predict how 2000 objects look in the jars before they actually count it.