- Have tapes ready with the classic American songs
- America (My Country 'Tis of Thee)
- America, the Beautiful
- Star-Spangled Banner
- Provide the lyrics to these songs--they can be downloaded below:
- Have them listen to the songs and follow along with the lyrics (or at least the first stanza). They should begin to notice words or phrases that are common to all of these songs.
- Instruct them to write about what they feel are the central meanings to these songs, and what they mean to being American today.