Crooked vs. Straight
- It is important for kids to compare lengths that are not in straight lines in order to gain a good perspective of relative length and distance.
- You will need string for this activity.
- Have a list of things for students to find in the room based on their own body measurements. For example, find something that is just as long as the distance around your head.
- Have students complete this worksheet. They will have to measure the perimeter of different shapes with string and then draw a straight line that is the same length.
- You may want to do some similar activities in the following weeks using estimation.