Phonics Lesson Plan
Students will be able to alphabetize by linking words to pictures.
this reproducible or something similar; paper; pencil
- With class, present a stack of folders, papers, notebooks, etc with students' names. Tell them that you need their help in organizing them. What does organize mean?
- Ask this question: Does anyone have any idea of how to organize these notebooks? Discuss feasibility of ideas given, eventually steering class toward the idea of putting notebooks in order by first names.
- As class, alphabetize books according to first names of students.
- Present "Animal Alphabetizing" document to students: 'These animals are all out of order. Your job is to alphabetize them.' This works best as a center activity.
- Have students alphabetize list of animals.
When all students are finished, alphabetize animals as class. Discuss any common problems or mistakes, such as what to do when 2 words begin with the same letter.
Look at students' work in order to see who needs assistance with alphabetizing and who understands.